Getting a survival axe, a bushcraft axe or a camping axe is really great for your inventory. This axes go a great way to put you at an advantage in terms of security and survival. Tis axes have three main sections viz: The sharp edge or blade, the head, and the handle.
The sharp edge of the axe is made from a very strong steel, I has one side that is beveled and has a slight arch commonly referred to as the CHEEK OR RAMP. The other side of the blade is called the POLL OR BUTT.
There are different types of camping axes, survival axes and bushcraft axes and they are made from different types of materials ranging from high-carbon steel to stainless steel, they also come in different lengths and are suited for various activities and situations.
The best survival axes will help you to overcome and survive any dire situation you may find yourself in, the best camping axe is a must have before you even pack your camping backpack, the best bushcraft axe must always be with you too.
- COMPARISON TABLE: BEST BUSHCRAFT AXE VS BEST CAMPING AXE VS BEST SURVIVAL AXE : TOMAHAWKS, HATCHETS AND KNIFE
- MAINTENANCE OF THE BEST AXES, TOMAHAWKS, HATCHETS AND KNIVES
- Choosing the best Survival and bushcraft axe
- Best Bushcraft, Camping and Survival axe: Tomahawks, Hatchets and Knife Reviews
- Estwing E24A 14-inch Sportsman’s Axe
- Gerber Gator Combo Axe
- Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe
- Wetterlings Large Hunting Axe
- Husqvarna Curved Wooden Handle Multipurpose Axe
- Conclusion on the best survival axe, best bushcraft axe and best camping axe
- The cheapest and best bushcraft axe review
- The Cheapest best survival axe review
- The cheapest and best camping axe
COMPARISON TABLE: BEST BUSHCRAFT AXE VS BEST CAMPING AXE VS BEST SURVIVAL AXE : TOMAHAWKS, HATCHETS AND KNIFE
MAINTENANCE OF THE BEST AXES, TOMAHAWKS, HATCHETS AND KNIVES
It is important that you maintain and always sharpen the blade of the bushcraft axe or knife, this will prevent the survival axe from going dull and blunt. It is good to also buy a very good sheath, this helps to keep the axe in a very good condition always and helps to protect you from injuries from the sharp side of the camping axe.
One of the factor to consider when choosing the best survival and bushcraft axe is the primary use or what it will function for. You have to also consider what size of the best camping axe you want too. This should also be affordable and within your buying capacity and capability.
Bushcraft axes are renowned for their combination of power and flexibility. This axes are very easy to grip, versatile, compact and highly portable.
They are mostly made from steel and the come accompanied with a very solid and strong handle that complements the strength of the blade and the grip. Most handles are made from the American hickory wood, but other materials are also used in making the handle of the best camping axe.
The Blade of the axe
The best bushcraft axe for the money must be of high quality, this will ensure that you get one with a great cutting ability. The thickness and length of the blades, as well the sharpness must also be considered.
The single blade survival axe are the most common and amongst the widely used axes, they are mostly used to split woods especially during camping.
The double bladed axes are among the best all round bushcraft axe, they have two sharp edges and are way more balanced than the single bladed axe. Each respective blades can be used for various tasks like cutting, chopping and splitting of woods.
The Head of the Hatchet
The head of the best value bushcraft axe is mostly made firm steel and high-carbon steel, this provide great tensile strength and flexibility. The head consist of the poll, cheek, toe, heel, bit and eye.
The Handle of the tomahawk
The handle of the camping axe is also known as the shaft and this is made from various types of materials, the common ones being stainless steel, American hickory wood, fiber glass and metal.
The handle id well designed to take off the pressure and rebound force when using the bushcraft axe to chop or split wood.
Choosing the best Survival and bushcraft axe
Before you even choose the best bushcraft axe, you have to consider the weight distribution between the sharpened edge and the handle. You have to also consider the angle and geometric alignment of the blade, the design and the overall performance of your choice survival axe.
For camping and walking lond distance, a light-weight axe should be bought, it should be properly balanced and well aligned for perfect delivery and maximum output.
Best Bushcraft, Camping and Survival axe: Tomahawks, Hatchets and Knife Reviews
The Estwing Sportsman’s Axe is made from very high quality American steel, it also has a very sharpened edge made with hand, great leather grip and handle an includes a heady-duty nylon sheath. This axe offers great balance with its tempered cutting edge to make the task easier. It is available in various sizes.
- Product Dimension: 13” x 7” x 2”
- Item Weight: 14.9 oz
- Ideal Uses: Camping, backpacking, hunting
- The head and the handle come as one piece design, so it cannot come or fly off.
- Its weight is well balanced for any occasion.
- The blade can be easily sharpened and it is made from very high quality steel.
- The sheath is made from leather and it is prettily crafted.
- It can get slippery, especially when the handle gets wet.
- It is not really that portable compared to other camping axes.
The Gerber Gator Combo Axe has a well forged steel head and it is known for its durability and striking force. The handle is made from a glass filled nylon and the gator grip material provides an increased grip and force in each blow. It is made for comfort and highly durable, also very versatile and easy to control.
- Product Dimensions: 13.2” x 8.8” x 2”
- Item Weight: 1.6 lb
- Ideal Uses: Chopping kindling, chopping thick vegetation
- The design is extremely compact and comes with axe that can be handled easily.
- The steel is forged properly and thus it cannot break easily.
- It has a rubber handle coated with a flexible rubber to give better grip
- It cannot withstand excessive use and rough handling.
- Cannot be used for strong wood stumps as it may break.
The Browning Outdoorsman Axe is a well forged one piece head bushcraft axe and a liquid steel injection handle fashioned for rigidity and durability. It has a concave grind and a convex edge that increases its cutting capabilities, it also comes with a nylon leather sheath.
- Product Dimensions: 24”
- Item Weight: 2.8 lb
- Ideal Uses: Chopping, splitting, cutting limbs
- The unique design makes its use very easy.
- The handle is made from fiber glass and the head from high quality carbon steel
- It is a lightweight axe for campers, the handle and head are made from strong and durable materials.
- The axe is generally for comfort, safety and security
- It has a smaller axe head size.
- It is not recommended for lighter tasks and cannot withstand excess pressures.
The Wetterlings Large Hunting Axe is one of the best survival and camping axes, it has a hickory handle and comes with a leather sheath. The axe head is formed from high quality steel and alloys from manganese, vanadium, silicon, carbon and iron.
Its home country is Sweden, very great for chopping and it has a longer reach than most axe and this makes it best for limbing and chopping.
- Product Dimensions: 19.7” x 6.7” x 1.5”
- Item Weight: 2.5 lb
- Ideal Uses: Chopping, splitting
- It has a sleek handle that provides comfort when handling.
- It had a great splitting and chopping ability.
- It has excellent balance along the handles
- Made from very high quality materials
- The handle is thicker on the sides
- It is expensive
- High maintenance and need to be sharpened regularly
The Husqvarna Axe is hand forged and made in Sweden, it has a handle made from hickory which has a geometric curvature to provide great grip and ergonomic fitness during use. It comes with a leather sheath to help protect the edge and also you from injury during storage and movement.
The head is attached to the handle with a wooden and steel wedge to secure it properly and provide balance in swinging.
- Product Dimensions: 7.52” x 9.84” x 26.5”
- Item Weight: 2.7 lb
- Ideal Uses: Small scale branch trimming and bush clearing, limbing logs, and tree felling
- This axe provides great performance and highly durable.
- The curved handle provides improved support
- It is a multipurpose axe and has a long length.
- It is lightweight and very easy to carry around also.
- It must be sharpened always even after first purchase.
- It does not have a wedge shape, so cannot split logs easily.
- It comes with some defects because it is hand forged.
Conclusion on the best survival axe, best bushcraft axe and best camping axe
Getting the best survival axe, best bushcraft axe and best camping axe will narrow down still to personal preference and the type of activity it will be used for.
The lighter axes are great for smaller jobs and activities, while the heavier axes with longer handles will provide more support and swinging power for heady duty jobs, they can also withstand more pressures and cut through larger logs and split them effortlessly.
The axes reviewed above come in very great and affordable prices for the money, they are all made from high quality materials. The best all round bushcraft axe and multipurpose axe will be the Husqvarna Multipurpose axe. However, my ultimate recommendation would have to be the Estwing E24A Sportsman’s Axe.
This is a one pieced design axe with an American steel with a very pretty leather grip, the sharp edge is hand sharpened and it has a heavy duty nylon sheath which makes it very great for camping, survival situations and it comes at a bargain price too.
The cheapest and best bushcraft axe review
This is the bushcraft axe with the best length, best budget and the appropriate size: either small or big based on individual preference. They are popular in the UK and America.
The Cheapest best survival axe review
If you intend to know what is the best tactical and survival knife axe or hatchet for survival, you will have to consider a cheap one and one that is easy to use and swing.
There are small and big survival axes, highly rated survival axe shovel for throwing, surviving in the wilderness and this makes them one of the world’s best tactical and survival axe. They are popular in the UK and America.
- best wetterlings axe for survival : Check it out now >>>
- best gransfors bruks axe for survival : Check it out now >>>
The cheapest and best camping axe
The best all-around camping axe have found use in the USA, Canada, Australia and UK. This are the following types of camping axes. They come in the best sizes, small or big and they are cheap. Real bargain for the money. They come under $50, under $100 and under $200, thus they are best value axes
There are also lightweight camping axe, tomahawk or hatchet. The camping axe can be used in the car, canoe and some come with axe hammer.
best fiskars axe for camping : Check it out now >>>
best gransfors bruks axe for camping : Check it out now >>>