Do you know what time of year it is? You probably guessed it: wood splitting time, it is time to get your own best axe for wood splitting and chopping. We will elaborate on the best axes in the world here too.
Guess what? It is the wood splitting period of the year, while some people dread this period, those with the best axe for splitting wood see it as second Christmas.
Let’s be sincere, there will be lots of wood to be chopped down, this is important to keep you and your family warm through winter.
While the wood chopping and splitting job is tiresome, having the right tool can be a lifesaver and thus we present to you the best axe for splitting wood.
But having the right tools can make this task so much easier.
This review today, I will be showing you our top picks for the best axe to help you with the seasonal job of chopping and splitting wood. After this post, you will be able to make the best choice and decision regarding the best axe to buy for your wood splitting experience.
This is what you should determine before choosing the best Axe for Wood Splitting
Basically, there are so many tools for chopping and splitting woods, like using a wood splitter but a lot of people still prefer to use the ever reliable axe or hatchet as some people may call it.
The axe is a great option for splitting and chopping down wood. It does not require any mechanical function or fluid to function, it is lightweight to move about and you can even get a sheath for it if you want more protection from the blade.
Getting the best axe can prove a bargain as they can be used for other functions, like driving stakes into the ground, especially when you are staking a tent to the ground or driving a rebar, an axe with the maul option will be a best fit.
Considerations before buying the best wood splitting axe
We have been able to throw light on the importance of getting an axe, now you should consider the following before you even decide to buy an axe:
That axe weight should be ideal
Most people will tell you to go for heavier axe, they believe it wields more power. The fact is, not everyone can carry an axe that is heavy, and so it’s better to go for one whose weight you can actually handle.
A universal and multipurpose axe is the biggest deal
Most axes are meant for splitting wood, others are great for chopping and mauling. It is better to look for an axe that can do both, this saves you the money on buying two axes.
The length of the axe handle matters a lot
The longer handled axes, is mostly favored because it adds more force and impact to every swing, but this is mostly based on personal preference.
It is basically your choice to go a long or short handled axe, what matters most is the ease of use, the comfort derived and the completion of your job
Multi pieces axes VS solid pieces axes
The multi pieces axes has the handle and the head separated on purchase, this makes sharpening, cleaning and general maintenance very easy.
This also creates a dire situation, where it has been reported continuously of the axe head flying off at repeated swings. I would prefer a solid piece axes, this are safer, but like I always point out, it is still down to individual preference.
However, there is a danger of the axe head flying off unintentionally. For that reason, I actually prefer an axe that is a solid piece. I think they are a little safer all the way around. But again, it is a personal preference.
What material is the axe handle made from?
Most axe handle are made from wood, while there are others made from fiber glass. They all have a coating finish too and varnish on them
You can roughen up the varnish on the handle at the place where you have the grip, this increases the friction and allows for better handling. You should look out for what provided the best comfort for you and protection when you are working
You really want to check all that before throwing you money up to get the best axe either for splitting wood, chopping timbers etc.
General Uses of axe : Using your axe efficiently
There are tons of uses for the axe but we are listing the most common and popular uses for axes and hatchets as at today.
The general uses of axe includes the following:
- Chopping and slitting wood
- Felling trees
- For kindling and carving
- Hiking and camping
- Throwing and hunting
- Mauling and staking
- Stump removal
- Ice climbing and mountaineering
General maintenance of the axe : How to care for your axe
- Always ensure you sharpen the sharp end of the head or blade.
- Always clean and polish the handle after use.
- Keep the axe in a place devoid of moisture.
- Always cover the head of the axe with the leather sheath
Best Axe Reviews : Best axe for splitting wood
This post is is a review of some selected 7 axes that we believe will be off great use to you. They are also the best bargain and off high quality, so let’s begin:
This is one of the best axe there is in the market today. If you are a very tall person either male or female, and most things get in your way, then this axe is for you, it is made for taller people.
It gives you the opportunity to maintain a great stance when swinging, it is ideal in in splitting large sized logs of wood. It is also very efficient, easy to handle and clean.
- They axes come with a lifetime warranty
- The axe comes in 4 different lengths
- The blade or head is easy to detach from the handle.
- Very efficient axe, one swing can do the job of splitting the wood.
- The cutting edge or blade of the axe must be kept very sharp always to maintain efficiency.
This Fiskars axe is highly ideal great many tasks, it is a multi-purpose. If you have been looking for a versatile axe, then this is your best option.
This axe can also absorb a lot of shock when chopping wood, it also has a mauling or hammering side which is great for driving stakes and rebar into the ground
This axe is a great bargain if you get it and it is one of the best for the money.
- This axe has a lifetime warranty.
- It also built with a shock absorbing mechanism and design.
- Can be used for chopping and splitting wood, driving stakes, wedges and rebar
- The blade is made with geometrical precision so it can cut large logs of wood easily
- It is a heavy axe, at 8pounds and repeated swings, you get to feel its impact on your body.
- It has no sheath so you may need to invest your own money in getting a leather one. I advise you do this, it is for your safety
This is one of the best axes in the world made specifically for the hard worker and for heavy duty work, it comes in one piece, it is not detachable, so you do not have to worry about the axe flying off when you swing it during wood chopping (that can be very scary and risky).
This axe is very solid, sturdy and it can actually reduce and absorb some of the shock you get when splitting wood. This is a great advantage as it reduce the overall effect of the job on your body.
- It has a shock absorbing handle when shopping wood.
- The steel used in constructing the blade is one of the strongest.
- It comes in one solid piece, so it is not I a danger when it is inuse, the head will not fly off.
- You may need to buy a leader sheath, to increase its safety during transportation.
This is an axe with les aesthetics, nothing fancy, it is directly for getting the job done and nothing else. It splits you wood and case closed.
It has a simple design and the handle is made from fiberglass which is really cool for a really basic axe.
It does not absorb shock, so you have to know what you want, if that feature is less important to you, then you should try this mintcraft axe out
- It has a simple design
- Not too heavy at 4.5 pounds
- Highly Durable
- Not good very strong wood, as there is no maul accessories
This is the most traditional axe there is, it even comes with a traditional wooden handle and it only weighs a paltry 3.3 pounds.
It is not too heavy and thus there will be less after effect on your body, this makes it a great deal and it has a long life span too with proper maintenance.
While chopping and splitting of wood is not for the weak and fainthearted, this axe make everyone look like a pro and it is effective.
- This axe is fashioned after the traditional axe.
- It weighs only 3.3pounds, so it is easy to carry and swing.
- The axe comes with a very clean and fine leather sheath.
- It cannot absorb shock, you will feel the effect after the job.
- No mauling abilities
This axe comes in a totally different design and does not even look like the normal traditional axe, it has a long handle with a small axe head fixed on it.
It is meant to cut heavy logs. With an intricate design from Germany and the handle fashioned in Switzerland but the handle wood is made from American Hickory wood, it is safe to call this an exotic axe.
If an unorthodox axe interests you, then this is the best axe you should look out for
- It has a very unique and peculiar design
- It has longer handle to add more force to every swing of the axe.
- The handle is made from wood
- The curved handle of the axe increase handling grip and balance.
- It is a very axe at 8-5pounds, this is great for increasing force on impact but makes it hard to handle
This is one of the best axe and it is ideal for cutting and splitting wood. The axe head comes at a weight of 4pounds which makes it a little heavier than other axe by the time you also add the weight of the handle too.
It has a strike protection included in its design and it has a guard fitted to the handle to increase better handling and grip hold.
This ax is very high quality and it comes with tons of other added features. The axe will make your job easier while also keeping you safe from the strike rebound.
- It has a grip guard, this will prevent you from losing your grip and the axe slipping off after swinging, this is a great safety feature.
- The handle of the axe is at the appropriate length and it has a balanced weight to improve swinging.
- The handle is made from a material like fiberglass, so if you prefer wooden handled axe, this is not your option
Even more best Axes in the world
the forest best axe >> Check it now!
best axe ever made >> Check it now!
best mountaineering ice axe >> Check it now!
best axe for the money >> Check it now!
best throwing axe for beginners >> Check it now >>>
best felling axe for the money >> Check it now >>>
best axe for throwing >> Check it now!
best axe under $50 >> Check it now!
best axe for chopping trees >> Check it now >>>
best brush axe >> Check it now!
best axe for splitting, chopping wood and logs uk >> Check it now >>>
best axe for chopping wood uk >> Check it now >>>
best ice axe for winter walking >> Check it now!
best ice axe for hiking >> Check it now >
best axe for tree stump >> Check it now >>>
best axe you can buy >> Check it now!
best axe for chopping and splitting >> Check it now >>>
best axe for spoon carving >> Check it now >>>
best axe for stump removal >> Check it now!
best axe for splitting oak >> Check it now!
best axe nz >> Check it now >>>
best ice axe for mixed climbing >> Check it now >>>
best axe for killing zombies >> Check it now!
best ice axe for everest >> Check it now >>>
best axe for cutting tree roots >> Check it now >>>
best ice axe for beginners >> Check it now!