At any point in time, your bed mattress may have several covers on it such as mattress protector, fitted sheet, top flat sheet, a comforter with duvet cover, coverlet, Bedspread, Quilt, a throw; or Just that lone Flat Bedsheet. Whether you are dressing your bed for the kill or keeping it super simple, you have a variety of bed covers to choose from.
Bed Covers Types
- Sheet: This is used to cover the whole mattress and the rest under the mattress.
- Fitted sheet: This is an alternative to the flat sheets which on the corners is fitted with elastic which makes them easy to be tucked without the bulk.
- Bedspread: This is a covering for the bed that drapes over the sides and down to the floor. The bedspread to cover the bed (just like a coverlet) during the day when no one is using it. It will cover mattress and Lengthwise it is layered over the pillows.
- Coverlet: This is a lightweight woven bed cover which just about covers the top of the bed; sometimes it hangs down the sides.
- Comforter: It is also known as a duvet. A coverlet is a thick bedcover filled with soft fibers (natural or man made) usually encased in a duvet cover. A duvet usually covers mattress and reaches just past the top of the dust skirt if any or just past the bed top.
- Bed skirt: This hides the space between the bedspread and the floor. It is also called a Dust ruffle. It is used to cover the box spring and legs of the bed
- Throw: This is usually draped at the foot of the bed and can be used as an extra blanket. A runner is also seen draped at the foot of the bed especially in hotels.
- Mattress protector/pad: This is used under the bottom sheet or the fitted sheet to cover the mattress to protect it and gives it a padding.
Bed Cover Measurements
There are 4 types of beds and mattresses according to the beds available. King , Full, Queen and Twin Size. You buy Bed linen according to the size of your mattress.
The mattress sizes vary slightly across countries, across brands so it is a good idea to consider the below given approximate dimensions for indicative purposes and measure the mattress you have before buying.
When buying bed linen or sewing it yourself, you should have the following measurements:
- The length of the mattress
- The width of the mattress
- The depth (or height) of your mattress
- The height from the top of the mattress to the floor, which as the drop.
For bedspreads, you choose a drop between the floor and the mattress bottom edge. With a coverlet the drop is slightly lesser. A flat bedsheet will need enough drop tucked under the mattress.
Bed Cover Price in Nigeria
Here is a price list of some bed covers
- Duvet:. ₦13,000 – ₦15,000
- Bed sheet:. ₦2500 – ₦20,000
- King size waterproof bed cover: ₦17,000 – ₦19,000
- Mattress protector 6 x 6 x 12in: ₦8600
- Mattress protector 6 x 6 x 10in: ₦7800
- Mattress protector 4.5 x 6 x 14in: ₦7800
- Mattress protector 3.5 x 6 x 6in: ₦5000
- Bed skirt:.₦ 2600 – ₦11,000