A baby bed (usually called cot in British English, and, in American English, a crib or cradle) is a small bed especially for infants. Babies are seen to be more comfortable, relaxed and calmer in their own cot. Baby bed not only feel safer, they feel a lot more at home in their niche and as they get used to the cot, they become more and more familiar with their immediate environment. Asides the fact that baby cot makes the babies more relaxed, baby cots make babies more organized as they grow.
Types of Baby bed
They are the most chosen baby sleeping option and as per the reports, it is also the safest option for a baby. A crib guaranteed that there are no wide gaps between the sides of the crib and the mattress. It is obtainable in an assortment of sizes and styles and helps you pick a perfect bed for any nursery room or bedroom. The way the crib is design ensures your little baby cannot roll over and fall while asleep.
They are a similar version of a crib with few differences and are also one of the topmost choices by parents when it comes to choosing a bed for their babies. This type of bed is usually met for babies from birth to the first four months. Normally, they are designed with fixed legs or casters.
They are a lot like bassinets but an exception to them is that it rocks back and forth in a relaxing way to lull your baby to sleep and are relatively smaller to a crib. This type of bed is generally set in a fixed frame but with the ability of gliding and rocking. Cradles are set on an extended surface like a stand or other surface to reduce back strain when bending over to tend the baby.
They were once known as play-pens and is common among parents who are on low budget looking for beds that are safe, portable and of course doubles as a playpen too. Playards are really safe if all the locking situations are intact.
Factors to consider before buying baby bed
- Safety: As required, safety should be the first factor to consider when buying a baby cot or bed. Truth be told, not all baby cots are safe for babies. Some of the baby beds might look fanciful and appeal to the eyes, that doesn’t mean they are safe as parents would like. One of the best way to confirm the safety of a baby cot is to check if it satisfies safety standards and is certified by international safety organizations.
- Choose What Suits You: You have two options here; you can either go for a baby cot bed or a baby cot. If there is limited space in your nursery, you may decide that the better option for you is a cot. If space is not an issue, a cot bed might be more economical in the long run. Also, a cot bed will serve till your child is about 4 or 5, while a cot should be big enough until your child is about 2 years old.
- Maneuverability: It is also important for you to consider the weight of the baby cot and how easy it is to move around. There will be times when you will need to move the cot around. Most of the cots are strong but some others are not sturdy.
- The Teething Rails: Babies have the tendency to chew the sides of their cot at one time or the other. It is often vital to get non-toxic teething rails so as to prevent your baby from ingesting paint or varnish.
In Nigeria, the idea of baby cots and beds has been widely embraced. At the moment, Baby cots and beds are one of the most sought after baby products. One of the top baby products on the top-have lists of Nigerian parents should be Baby cots and beds. Parents can now properly lay their babies to sleep in absolute comfort while they do other things since the introduction of baby cots and bed. Baby beds come in different shapes, designs, sizes and spec.
Baby Bed Price in Nigeria
Here are the prices of various baby cots and beds available in the market today.
- LMV Baby Cot: N32,000 – N 40,000
- Baby bed (Universal Convenient): N4,000 – N 10,000
- Universal Playard Baby Cot: N28,000 – N40,000
- Mamakids Baby Cot: N28,000 – N35,000
- Graco Babysuite Playard: N35,000 – N40,000
- Graceland baby cot: N35,000 –N45,000
- Toddler Baby Cot (Disney Princess): N37,000 – N40,000